I hope you all are having a wonderful summer so far. I wanted to share with you an incredibly easy, but beautiful craft that my kiddos and I worked on the other day. I love this DIY project because there are so many possibilities for the use of these little dragonflies and they turned out so beautiful….did I mention they are super easy to make?
In the spring and early summer our back deck is covered with these maple seed twirlers, so finding a stash of these was not hard to do, and it’s a good excuse to clean the deck 🙂
Supplies you will need:
- Maple Seeds
- Various Paint Colors (I just used latex paint samples and craft paint)
- Paint Brushes
- Hot Glue Gun
Simply lay out your maple seeds on a paper, or wax paper, and start painting your seeds. I must confess that I had as much fun as my kids. There is no right or wrong color and you can paint as simple or as elaborate as you wish.
For a more complex and detailed look, layer your paint colors so that each wing is not just one color. Once one side is dry you can flip them over and paint the other side. Depending on what you plan to use these for the underside might not have to be painted.
Once everything is dry, choose 2 maple seed twirls that you want to pair together. If your seeds are already broken in half, don’t worry, just glue each seed together to make a set of “wings”. Next, put a dot of hot glue on the back of the larger maple seed “wing” and press the smaller seed “wing” down on top. Next, cut your thin twigs into 3″ pieces and glue one on the top side of each of your double winged seeds.
We left the twigs bare, but you could definitely paint them a shimmery gold to give them even more color. There are so many fun things you can do with these beauties.
- Glue a wire to the underside of the stick body and pop them in your indoor plants.
- Tie a piece of fishing line to them and hang them at various heights from the ceiling to make it look like they are flying.
- Use them to decorate a fairy or garden party
- Use them to decorate a party cake.
MAKE THESE FOR WEDDING AND PARTY FAVORS
Make these dragonflies as wedding or party favors for your guests to take home. Here are a few ideas on how to incorporate them into your wedding/party favors. First, create them in the colors of your theme and…
- Simply lay one dragonfly on each guests plate.
- Take a piece of jute string, tie tightly around each guests napkin and insert the twig part of the dragonfly into the string.
- Wrap floral wire around the body leaving a long strand at the end. Fill a vase with various colored dragonflies for each guest to pick.
- Glue a dragonfly onto a pack of seeds and place one at each setting, or fill a basket for guest to choose from.
The possibilities are endless, and these were such a fun and easy craft project to create. I love projects that are both kid and adult friendly. So now my kids have there pink and blue polka dot dragonflies and I have my shimmery teal and gold ones. We all win! 🙂
I am always interested to see how you used your dragonflies and any tips you have for the readers.
Have a wonderful summer!